Mrs. Huettenmoser, Grade 5
For specific announcements about classroom homework and for copies of classroom documents please visit grade5huett.weebly.com or log onto your child's Google Classroom.
Math, Science, and English Language Arts
As I enter my fourteenth year at Mountview Road School, I feel so fortunate to have the opportunity to help our fifth graders grow as learners and individuals. At Mountview, I've taught second, third, fourth, and fifth grade. As a fifth grade teacher, I focus on Math and English Language Arts with my individual class, and I will teach Science to all the grade five students. I look forward to a year of fun, safe, and rewarding learning experiences!
Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Grade 5 Curriculum
English Language Arts
We use the following resources in ELA:
- Scholastic Storyworks
- Novel Units including Blood on the River, Wonder, and Maniac Magee
Much of our reading instruction will focus on students constructing written responses to what they are reading and thinking critically about what they read.
Students will be exposed to various genres of reading and writing. Our writing projects will focus on the following genres of writing:
- Personal Narratives
- Fictional Narratives
- Expository Writing
- Research Writing
- Descriptive Writing
- Persuasive/Opinion Writing
We use the Pearson Common Core curriculum, which focuses on the following topics:
- Place Value (Decimals and Whole Numbers to the billions)
- Adding and Subtracting Decimals
- Multiplying and Dividing Whole Numbers and Decimals
- Numerical Expressions, Patterns, and Relationships
- Adding and Subtracting Fractions and Mixed Numbers
- Multiplying and Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
- Volume of Solids
- Units of Measure (both customary and metric)
- Data, more specifically Line Plots
- Classifying Plane Figures
- Coordinate Geometry
This year in Science, we will focus on Engineering, the Earth and Sun, and Living Systems.
- Our Engineering Unit (through EiE) will focus on the physics of flight and our solar system as students design parachutes and spacecraft.
- In our FOSS Earth and Sun unit, the students will focus on concepts related to Day and Night, the Earth as a system, the Moon, our Solar System, our atmosphere, and water on Earth.
- In our FOSS Living Systems unit, the students will learn about food webs, will create compost systems with redworms, will observe a painted lady butterfly's life cycle, will grow plants in light and dark environments, and will understand animal and plant nutrient systems.